Originally built in 1929 by L.H. Pennington, the buildings that have become the core of Iron City Birmingham have had a long history in the auto industry and left a lasting impression on the Southside landscape. Our historic location was considered one of the most modern car facilities of its time. It is fitting that Iron City’s reconstruction was driven by another entrepreneur in the car business, Steve DeMedicis.
In the design by Williams Blackstock Architects, two connected buildings underwent extensive renovation and construction in a two-floor layout that includes three concert stages, state of the art sound system, two bars and a restaurant.
Today, it’s the most inspired music and event venue in the city, and we can’t wait to share it with you.
How big is Iron City?
- Iron City has two large indoor areas: The Grill, an upscale bar and restaurant that seats 90, and our main event venue that has a 1300 standing capacity.
Where do I park?
- We have a parking lot next to the Grill entrance on 6th Ave South. There is also plenty of street parking around the venue. The lot on the corner of 22nd St. South and 6th Ave South is available for parking as well.
What hotels are near Iron City?
- You’ll find great listing of nearby hotels here: ConcertHotels.com. We’d love it if you mentioned that we recommended the hotel when you book.
Is there seating for concerts?
- The nature of seating depends on the specific event. Large capacity events will have very limited seating and seats are first come, first served. For smaller events or concerts, there will be tables and chairs spread out across the event center, but seating isn't guaranteed unless it's reserved. We recommend arriving early for an event if you would like to get a seat.
Does Iron City offer accessible seating?
- If you are handicapped or require a seat due to a disability, you must contact us before the date of the concert to reserve accessible seating. Email Scott@ironcitybham.com for inquiries.
Can I smoke at Iron City?
- We have an outdoor patio where smoking is allowed. Per city ordinance, there can be no smoking inside the building.
Can I buy tickets in person at the venue?
- Absolutely. The box office hours are 10am to 6pm, Monday through Friday. Service fees remain applicable and vary depending on how tickets are purchased.
Can I pick up my will call tickets at anytime before the show?
- Currently will call tickets may only be picked up after doors open for the event. If you would like to have tickets in hand for a concert, we recommend using the “Print at Home” option, purchasing tickets in person at the venue, or having tickets mailed via USPS for applicable shows.
Can I bring my camera to an Iron City concert?
- ONLY small profile cameras with attached lenses are allowed at concerts without a photo pass unless otherwise noted. Some concerts will require photography restrictions or allow no photography. Please check event listings for details.
If a show is all ages, does that really mean ALL ages?
- Yes, if a show is listed as “all ages,” any age person may attend. All attendees must have a ticket regardless of age.
My band wants to play at Iron City or open for a larger concert. How can I go about arranging that?
- Iron City is a large capacity venue and needs a band to have a fan base in Birmingham prior to playing here. If your band can demonstrate the ability to draw people in our area, send an email through our “Contact Us” page to the appropriate booking agent with info about the artist, links to websites and social media pages, and a sample of music. We do our best to respond to all requests, so please allow some time before sending a second email.My band wants to play at Iron City or open for a larger concert. How can I go about arranging that?
Can I enter from The Grill entrance?
- Patrons who have already purchased or plan to purchase a concert ticket should save their receipt from the Grill ($10 or more) to gain entry into our main concert and event space.